15 August 2022

Interview: MYTH DRANNOR (UK)


MYTH DRANNOR is a one-man band hailing from Taunton, UK and it is a side-project of multi-instrumentalist Stein from KVÖL. Managed to unleash two releases as of date; “Dark Secret of Candlekeep” (February 2022) and “In the Lair of the Illithid” (June 2022), MYTH DRANNOR is musically melodic synth-y, dungeon-y, atmospheric-y Black Metal and lyrically based around Dungeons & Dragons. I have found this project very interesting and amazing so I have no hesitation in recommending that you check it out immediately. We had a chat with Stein (vocals/all instruments) who told us more about his project. - Interviewed by Atandistorted, 11 August 2022

Hail! Please introduce yourself who is behind this project?
Hail, my name is Stefan Gilborson but I go by my pseudonym, Stein. I also compose and play in the project, KVÖL.

Please tell us when & how Myth Drannor existed and what prompted you to create this project?
My other project, KVÖL, was at a low ebb; we’d finished our second album and I had some free time so I expanded on some song ideas that I had stored on my computer which weren’t really suitable for KVÖL.

Can you describe more clearly the genre of music/sound presented by Myth Drannor, and who/what hugely inspired you?
I suppose Myth Drannor treads the line between dungeon synth and the more atmospheric variety of black metal. I’m inspired by the world of Dungeons and Dragons lyrically. Sound-wise, I’m inspired by bands like Summoning, Old Nick and Paysage D'hiver as well as Xasthur even though my material is very different to Malefic’s.

Speaking of music composition, how is a song (for Myth Drannor) written? What are the basic ideas? How do you determine the final output? What instruments and recording tools are involved?
Generally, I’ll compose a riff or guitar part when I’m fiddling around. Then, I’ll input that part into Reaper as a MIDI file. Then, I’ll use MIDI to compose things like baselines, strings etc. I love using Soundfonts for the orchestral parts because the slightly fake sound gives the songs a slightly lo-fi edge.


What are the themes and messages you want to convey through the music of this project?
I like taking the listener on a journey to another world. The lyrics tell stories from the Dungeons and Dragons world and I hope, reflect the music.

Please give the best description for each of your releases (that have been produced so far);
i- Dark Secret of Candlekeep
This release was made up of expanded leftover song ideas. The song, Dark Secret of Candlekeep, was the first completed track for this project. It was also the first song where I was happy with my screamed vocals. It think this release established the sound I want to pursue and the world I want to create.
ii- In the Lair of the Illithid
This release, as a whole, is a bit more melodic musically. I always try and push my songs into strange shapes in terms of melody. I had the chorus to In the Lair of the Illithid rattling around in my head for what seemed like forever and I knew I had to put it in a song. This release wasn’t based on previous ideas; it was all new.

Tell us your views on the current Black Metal / Dungeon Synth scene in the UK? Do they know about Myth Drannor?
There are some good UK black metal bands. I like Black Pyre who, I think, are based in Cardiff. The Infernal Sea are great. Heathen Deity are cool too. I must also give a special mention to Petrine Cross, a one woman project which is very Xasthur-esque and fantastically raw. I don’t think any of these are aware of Myth Drannor. I’m not the best at promotion haha.

Thanks. What would be next from Myth Drannor in the near future?
I will, at some point, put together a full length. I’m putting together a few ideas and would love to release it on tape but it’ll be a little way away, next year at some point. Thanks for your time.


Note: 
This interview is as published in Distorted Reports Newsletter #3