27 September 2020

Review: OMENFILTH - Devourer of the Seven Moons


OMENFILTH - 
Devourer of the Seven Moons (2019, remixed version 2020)
Listening to “Devourer of the Seven Moons”, the third full album of OMENFILTH really brings me back to old Greek stuffs such as KAWIR “Eumenides” EP 1994 and NORDOR “His Fictitious Grandeur” EP 1993. I don’t know why but I personally sure that Omenfilth from the Philippines itself sounds like Traditional / Ancient Black Metal and Occult Death Metal, falling in between. I might be wrong but I couldn’t refuse my mind from thinking that Hellenic black/death cults give a huge inspiration to the music and sound of Omenfilth. Perhaps there are also some influences from the demo-era of Moonspell and Samael. You can consider anything because I believe every listener must have a different opinion, but in the end, Omenfilth is Omenfilth. Profoundly dark, eerie and horrible! All the songs are well-composed, very good in musical arrangement; conveying a variety of structures and melodies. I honestly never ever know about Omenfilth until recently Deathfiend (vocals/guitars) introduced me this band which based in San Pablo City, Laguna. As per said, “Devourer of the Seven Moons” is a conceptual album about the ancient Filipino mythological dragon, the Bakunawa. This created an identity to the band. And Omenfilth also did an impressive cover on Volcano’s Bloody Vengeance. The album was originally released on CDs and cassette-tapes by Eternal Death (USA) in 2019 and the one get reviewed here is the remixed/remastered, self-released version in early 2020 with a different artwork. A decent album, indeed.