9 February 2021

Interview: ÄTTESTOR (UK)


This Brighton-based UK punk band really caught my ears through their two stunning cassettes; “Demo” and “II”, respectively, were released in February and August 2020. ÄTTESTOR is just fast, loud and threatening, right in your face! We had a chance to chat with all the band members, so here it is! – Interviewed by Atandistorted, 9 February 2021.

Hello Ättestor. What’s up today? 
Darren: Not a lot, waiting for the lockdown to end so I can get back to some sort of “normal” life, starting to miss gigs & mates badly now. I’ve been working on a benefit Bandcamp for the Cowley Club, a local Brighton  anachist/space/venue, so that’s been keeping me busy getting bands involved. And helping out with the next Stray 4 Life, a cool local zine. 
Steve: I’m currently perched on the end of my bed (where I have spent the majority of the last 10 months) writing riffs for a split we have planned for later in the year!
Ant: Working and listening to records.
Luke: Practicing, always practicing. 

What is the current situation of the Covid-19 pandemic in the UK and how do you see the impact on your band?
Darren: It’s a half-arsed lockdown right now, the entire thing has been one big mess in the UK & I’ve kind of stopped watching the news as it’s so depressing how useless out government are. Band wise we had a bunch of cool gigs planned & didn’t end up playing any, so we’re all desperate for this to end.
Steve: Vaccines seem to be getting rolled out here and there. Regardless of its effectiveness, the fact that one exists has to be a step towards getting back to the lives we knew before last March right?... As for the band, Covid stopped us dead in our tracks as we were just about to step onto a stage and get the ball rolling. We were however able to continue writing here and there and managed to get our first LP in the works.
Ant: Just want to fucking gig!
Luke: There’s a lot of idiots in this country who aren’t treating the virus like they should do, some of those idiots run the country. It’s money over safety. Who cares about health when you can have the wealth.

All right, introduce more about Ättestor; history and band lineup? How did you get the band name?
Darren: Vocals, I’ve known Steve for a long time, and Ant a few years now, they were doing a new project & I ended up on vocals as I was looking to shout in a band again. I think Ant came up with the name.
Steve: Guitar, This is the 5th band I’ve been in with Ant (for my sins) including Teef and Watchcries among others. When we decided to get a band together with the Scandinavian influences, Luke sprung to mind as I’d played with him previously over a decade ago so I knew we could work well together with little effort.
Ant: Drums, I wanted the band name to sound obscure and look Scandanavian basically, Attestor seemed to fit the bill haha.
Luke: Bass, As Steve said we’ve played together before and I was looking to play something a bit harder and faster than my other band, every song we write I try and push them to speed up haha.

Can you explain in detail about your music? How do you want to achieve a certain sound for Ättestor?
Darren: We all have quite different tastes I think, But we all like D-Beat & we all like our Hardcore short and fast, so that’s what brings us together.
Steve: I think the Swedish influence is evident in our recordings. You can’t go wrong with loud drums, driven guitars and a super gravelly bass tone.
Ant: D-Beat!
Luke: A lot can be said in under 3 minutes and we want people to listen and the way we write makes people pay attention.


Name some of your influences and inspirations musically and lyrically?
Darren: For me Health Hazzard, Electro Hippies, Seein Red, Discharge, Doom. I like songs like “Sheep” by Electro Hippies and “Relief” by Doom with the lyrics going over & over so they get stuck in your head & punch the message into you – Don’t Kill Sheep.
Steve: Totalitar, Heratys, Anti-cimex being the most obvious but I try and get a few nods to US hardcore as my abilities allow. Bands like Incendiary, Foundation and Take offense.
Ant: D-Beats, Blast Beats, Pogo Beats, Shuffle Beats etc....
Luke: Most of my musical background is in street punk but I’ve always listened to a lot of faster stuff too, inspirations for me when we start writing new Ättestor material have been stuff like Power Trip, Terror, Wolfbrigade, listening to Clowns a lot too at the moment.

What are the topics and messages that Attestor brings through the writing and delivery of song lyrics?
Darren: One review said the lyrics were strongly on the left side of politics, and while that’s true for me it’s more about being nice, you know, you  choose to be homophobic & I really don’t get shit like that, stop hiding behind traditions or religion & just admit you’re an arsehole. Also a bunch of songs are about my Mental Health as I finally decided to seek help in 2019 & getting some counselling was the best thing I ever done, so a mix of the political & personal. You’ll also notice I hate landlords. 

What does “punk” mean by your perspective?
Darren: A network of friends, people helping out each other & not because of money, not being a dick & giving a shit about others & the planet. Just in this lockdown I’ve seen a bunch of people coming out & showing support for punk venues & it’s been really positive to see.  
Steve: Being the most accurate representation of yourself without societal boundries whilst upholding some degree of compassion. Social values play an important part too! “conservative punk” is the most infuriating oxymoron and it pops up far too often.
Ant: D-Beat!
Luke: Standing united against the fucking idiots in this world. 

Now tell more about the two cassettes that Ättestor has produced; “Demo” and “II”?
Darren: We’ve been quite lucky with the tapes, we recorded the 1st just before lockdown kicked in & then a 2nd one between lockdowns, so considering what’s going on in the world we’ve been as productive as we could be.  
Steve: When the LP is released later this year we will have 3 releases totalling 25 tracks in just over a year. A number we wouldn’t have achieved had we been gigging. 
Ant: They are both just a taster of what is to come....


How do you see the response and feedback you receive for these cassette releases?
Darren: It’s been great considering we’ve never played live, or got out there to meet people. We’ve had some really nice & supportive reviews. We’ve had a few DIY videos knocked up by mates as well, which you can find on YouTube, so that’s helped get the name out there as well.
Steve: We get people saying “I can’t wait to hear this live!” often which is very frustrating. At least listeners have had plenty of time to learn the lyrics ready to shout them back at us!
Ant: Bloody lovely, up the punx!
Luke: Most reviews have said the second ep is faster than the first, wait til you  hear the LP.

Have you ever played live, participated in any gigs or even taken a tour?
Darren: Not yet with this band, I’ve played live in a few older bands but nothing worth mentioning.  
Steve: Gigging, touring and frequenting shows/festivals has been a massive part of my life for the last quarter of a century. So not being able to do it with THIS band is killing me.
Ant: Been gigging and touring for blooming years with various bands/projects, just want to do it with Attestor now!
Luke: I’ve been playing in bands consistently since I was at school. This is the longest I’ve gone without a gig and it’s the band that has the most to say and is getting the best response. When this shit is over if you're reading this and put on shows then book us, we need to get out there!!

What do you think of the hardcore punk scene in Brighton?
Darren: It’s great, we have a nice healthy scene, bands like State Funeral, Plastics, Human Leather, Constant State Of Terror, Combat Shock, Vanilla Giver, Young Francis Hi Fi, Pussyliquor, Skinny Milk, High Praise, No Relief and Top Left Club – A good mix of styles & usually a good size crowd show up (when we could have gigs) and I’m sure I’m missing a few bands off the list.  
Steve: It’s had it’s moments but its consistently been an important city in the live circuit since I can remember. Check out Darren’s bandcamp playlist for all the current bands you need to hear (check out the Cowley Club Benefit mix on Bandcamp for a bunch of Brighton bands & more).
Ant: Needs more D-Beat!
Luke: Brighton amazing for the scene, in fact all along the south coast is great, Southampton to the west and Hastings to the east, coastline tours can be great

End this conversation with information about upcoming releases and future plans of Ättestor?
Darren: We should have recorded an LP in January 2021, but Covid put a stop to that, hopefully this will be over soon & we can get on with the recording. So at some point a full length LP, we’ve been asked to be on a UK compilation LP, a split EP with Under Attack from the U.S of A and a split EP with Abrazos from Southampton, UK.
Steve: Play a gig or 2 maybe? Details of the LP to follow so keep an eye on the usual outlets. Much as I want to shout them from the rooftops, it will be a much sweeter surprise. Not long now...I hope?!
Luke: In the future? Play fast or fuck off!
Ant: What Luke says....



DIY video made by Tony Suspect Device during Lockdown 2021
Watch for more here: youtube.com/user/spudwentcrust